Monday, March 01, 2010

RNC: Looking for Money Instead of Ideas

For some reason, I'm on a solicitation mailing list for the Republican National Committee. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a registered Democrat. I registered to participate in primary elections, and between the two parties, I'm more left than right.

But I'm not a big fan of the two-party system because it's ineffective. There are so many perspectives, they simply can't be diluted into two "sides". But that's a topic for another day.

Today, I'm curious about the spirit of these RNC solicitations. There's a Democrat in the White House, and a majority, albeit tiny, in Congress. If you really feel the current administration - who apparently have wreaked utter havoc in one year with all issues beginning January 1, 2009 - are doing things wrong, you should: a) work with the current folks to do things "right", b) offer alternative ideas instead of adolescent-grade insults, c) try to get more bees with honey instead of vinegar (use kinder language).

But I'm not the head of the RNC, Michael Steele is. Why did I choose a picture of Mike with a dog? It makes about as much sense as the letter. And I understand the letter is meant to rile up right-wingers that are already anti-anything-not-right-wing, feed the paranoia and divisiveness all to get more money.  I was just hoping they might start to offer some ideas on what "we" should be doing instead. Oh yeah, I forgot "hope" is four-letter-word these days, too.

Instead of me interpreting their tone or their tactics any more, you can read their recent letter to me here: 2010 Republican Platinum Card.

OK, I do have to make one comment. The "platinum" card is cardboard, not actual platinum or even plastic. But do you think a credit card analogy is the best marketing idea in an economic recession?

Stay classy, RNC.


3 comments:

Dave Bittner said...

Wow.

I would love to see what would happen if you wrote Mr. Steele a letter that told him you would more than willing to make a contribution, but in order to do so you first need to know what criteria he used to conclude that you have an "exemplary record of loyalty and patriotism," and that you're someone he knows he can trust.

You could make a fun "Republican talking points drinking game" with this letter. On the other hand, you'd likely get alcohol poisoning before you finished the first page.

Anonymous said...

Love the side of guilt that comes with the card and the promise, no threat, to send another letter if you don't ante up!

Anita @ModelSupplies

Mike said...

Dave - I love the comments! You and I are always on the same page. And I welcome a new drinking game! Anita- LOL. Thank you so much for taking the time not only to read but comment. You are the best!