Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tina Fey Comedy Litmus Test

My blog is called Do I Amuse You? as a tribute to one of the oddest exchanges in mob movie history and as a rhetorical question (because otherwise you may just answer, “mmm, not really”). For some reason - yes, psychotherapy would offer a plethora - I require validation in everything I do. I think I’m funny and I make people laugh, but it’s usually when playing off of their conversations. I have reactive material and like to believe I’m quick like 'at. With this blog, I have to start the dialogue, and there is no give and take. My validation metric (my apologies for using the brilliant corporate replacement for “measurement”) regarding humor has been to get the people in my life I find hilarious to laugh. Now, I’m ready to reach higher.

The funniest person on the planet is Tina Fey. Everything she does (head writer of SNL, creator and head writer of 30 Rock, screenwriter of Mean Girls, and her sketch and sit-com acting, delivery and timing) is just spot on. And she recently won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV Comedy (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22641298/), which was totally deserved.

I most appreciate the self-deprecation in her humor. I attempt it in some of my own stuff like my recent blog on balding (http://morucci.blogspot.com/2008/01/balding-no-its-really-not-ok-to-pat-my.html
) and one of my first blogs called Why You Gotta Be Like That? (http://morucci.blogspot.com/2006/01/why-you-gotta-be-like-that.html).

So for my ultimate validation, I’d like to hear that Tina read something of mine and laughed. Out loud.


I’m not pining for a dream job-offer or for Tina herself. I mean, she’s totally hot, and smart…and married. This is a professional appreciation and if just one of my lines, or concepts, or articles, hit the mark in her opinion, I would know I’m following the right path.

It’s not your typical male fantasy, but it is mine.

So if any of you know Ms. Fey, please pass along my wish and a link to my blog, but don’t embellish with fabrications like I’m dying or a 12-year-old Make-a-Wish candidate or something.


Efharisto!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG your funny!
Tina if your out there reading Mike's blog, please oh please respond. I work with the guy, and I tell you, we might never hear the end of it if you don't respond!